* Have you noticed how the Vancouver media jackals have jumped all over John Tortorella? Not nice.
* Torts is not the problem; his general manager hasn’t exactly given his coach an Anaheim-type team.
* Plus, two back-up goalies sure doesn’t inspire confidence in the other lads, does it?
* It’s time for Marty St.Louis to start busting out; not to mention Rick Nash.
* He won’t win the Norris Trophy but Ryan McDonagh sure deserves more attention than he gets.
* Rather deservedly, Jaromir Jagr is commanding a lot of headlines in New Jersey but there’s another Czech who quietly is having a career year with the Devils — Marek Zidlicky.
* Connor McDavid is being touted as the “New Gretzky-Or-Crosby-Take-Your-Pick,” but there’s another young man who might eventually be even better — Jack Eichel.
* Hockey Night In Canada’s Elliotte Friedman asked Lou Lamoriello if the Devils boss has “started discussing a contract extension with Jaromir Jagr?” Friedman should have known the answer.
* For the 20,239th time, Lou replied “You know I don’t discuss contracts.” Something I learned from Double L a long, long time ago.
* The reason why Steve Yzerman should have named Marty St.Louis to the Canadian Olympic Team was not because Marty was a member of Steve’s Tampa Bay Lightning but rather because Marty deserved to be on the team.
* Conversely Ray Shero and Dan Bylsma never should have placed Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik on Team USA just because they played for their beloved Penguins.
* With Ryan Callahan gone, the Rangers are without a captain. Why wait? I’d give it to Dan Girardi, the workhorse of all workhorse Blueshirt defenders.
* Kudos to the Dallas Stars medical staff for its quick and competent work saving the life of Rich Peverley.
* Just as a side note; wherever he’s played Peverley has impressed me. Sure hope he can return to the NHL in mint condition.
* I’ve said it before but I’m going to say it again, if you don’t have a copy of The NHL — A Centennial History By D’Arcy Jenish you’re missing the best history of hockey ever written.
* I love the Jenish sub-sub-title, “HOW ON EARTH HAS THE NHL SURVIVED?”
* NHL President John Ziegler. reviled the media dummies, gets high marks from Jenish for the many accomplishments Ziegler delivered during his reign.